Here is how to root Alcatel OneTouch 983:
Download Alcatel-OT-983Root.zip and extract it to a folder
1. Go to Settings – Applications – Development – Enable Usb Debugging
2. Install adb drivers from Driver1 or Driver2 folder, I have tested it on xp/7 32bit and it works.
3. Copy update.zip to /sdcard
4. run RebootToRecovery.cmd (or type “adb reboot recovery” from command prompt from adb directory)
5. install update.zip from recovery and then reboot to check.
It worked for me but there was a minor problem after I updated su/superuser (from PlayStore) AND then done Factory Reset (from Settings – Privacy) the superuser program was not working but it was no longer rooted.
Here is how I managed to get the root back:
After the factory reset (data wipe) I had to update the superuser using Play Store and from the updated Superuser application choose OTA survival option to get the root back.
Please note: I take no responsibility for any damage done to your phone as a result of following these steps.